A VISION OF PINK & GREEN IN CENTURY PARK
ON SATURDAY 13th MAY2017
Shanghai-As dawn broke on Saturday 13th May, preparation began in Century Park for the More than Aware (MTA) 2k and 5k Family Fun Run and Walk. This annual event champions and celebrates the proactive prevention of and recovery from breast cancer.
Every participant in this event had made a wellness goal, which is written on the back of each race shirt in an area entitled “What’s your green?”. Sandrine said “I know a healthy outside starts from the inside and that’s my goal this year”. The green addition to the traditional pink ribbon symbolizes taking awareness into action.
By 7.30am Century Park was a vision of Pink and Green as over 3,000 runners and walkers of all nationalities, ages and genders assembled for the opening ceremony and the start of the race. There was excitement in the air and the vast array of creative pink and green costumes brought much amusement and joy. Many of these fun costumes are worn in honor of loved ones.
Following an energetic warm-up provided by the Nike instructor, the corporate teams and individual runners were ready for the dance off to Taylor Swifts ‘Shake-it off’. Then, for a change of pace, members of the Shanghai Cancer Recovery Center (SCRC) performed a beautifully gracious dance routine, which reminded us of what can be achieved through proactive prevention, wellness from within and sisterhood support. In the words of a Thriver from SCRC “The SCRC partnership with MTA provides the platform needed to focus on the prevention and recovery of Breast cancer. At the same it’s a sisterhood for all the loving hearts of the society.”
MTA received an incredibly generous cheque from White Collar Boxing International in the amount of 88.700 RMB during the opening ceremony. In addition, awards were presented in several categories including largest team, most Pink and Green team, as well as several others.
The 5k race began at 8am to the beat of ‘I run for life’. The 2k commenced shortly thereafter. As the 3,000 runners and walkers embarked on their individual journeys around the park, reading everyone’s “green” goals and seeing the names of honored loved ones provided an incredibly inspirational experience. Jared from Little Scholar Academy said “We believe that healthy habits should be learned and practiced from a young age. We encouraged the LSA community to join the race as part of our school-wide wellness initiative and to put our support into action for this great cause!”.
Children enjoyed a variety of stimulating activities including blowing bubbles, creating funny pictures, coloring, face painting.
From 8:20 there was a steady stream of runners and walkers crossing the finish line grateful for the fruits and water provided with a smile by MTA volunteers.
As the temperature steadily began to rise and the event drew to an end, Frederic Madre of the Kerry Hotel said, “Shangri-La Hotel and resorts is committed to its corporate social responsibility and encourages women to be proactive in the prevention of breast cancer. Thanks to More Than Aware to make the efforts on taking the awareness into action.”
Thanks to the community, it has been yet another fantastic event.
- More Than Aware (MTA) is MORE than a pink ribbon. It is a pink and green wellness revolution and healthy lifestyle support group that transforms breast cancer awareness into action. Founded in 2011, MTA is a voluntary group and a global community that empowers women to be proactive in the prevention and recovery from Breast Cancer. This is the fifth annual Family Fun Run in Shanghai and the first global event.
- Global Run全球竞跑
For the first time, runners outside of China could participate in the global run.
Runners from America, The Netherlands, Luxembourg and Italy participated in the first MTA global race held on the same day at a time and length of their choosing.
- Shanghai Cancer Recovery Club (SCRC) is MTA’s partner organization in Shanghai. SCRC has a documented 90% recovery rate from breast cancer, which is one of the highest in the world. This 90% recovery rate is from focusing on wellness from within, a proactive prevention lifestyle and sisterhood support. Consequently, SCRC is an experimental site for the World Health Organization and Harvard University. For more information, please visit morethanaware.com.
- Participating were 3,000 runners and walkers including 1,000 Thrivers from SCRC, many of whom were sponsored by an individual or corporate donor.
- Winners of the awards were
Largest Company: Ford
Largest School: HARROW
Largest Community: Latinas POR Annie
Liveliest Pink and green corporate: Nike
Liveliest Pink and Green Community: Pernilla’s Posse
The Loudest: GAP
最大社区：Latinas POR Annie;
最活泼Pink & Green 公司：耐克；
最活泼Pink & Green 社区：Pernilla’s Posse;
- The event partners include Kerry Hotel Pudong, Jingan Shangri-La, Pudong Shangri-La alongside iMandarin and 247 Tickets to deliver the event. Corporate support from Ford, Gap and Nike was generously provided by way of fielding large teams of racers.
- Photographs – a selection of photos attached, provided by Joe from The Moment Studio and by Shanghai Cancer Recovery Club (SCRC).